Become a Chicago Lights Tutor and do life-changing work!
Assist with all activities related to day-to-day accounting for Fourth Presbyterian Church and Chicago Lights
Fourth Presbyterian Church seeks a Staff Accountant for the second largest Presbyterian church in the United States and its nonprofit organization, Chicago Lights. Working with the Controller and Accounting staff, the Staff Accountant will assist with all activities related to day-to-day accounting, account reconciliations, financial reporting, and act as backup to accounts payable. They will also develop business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls.
- Record payroll and monthly accruals.
- Reconcile, adjust, and maintain balance sheet accounts, such as prepaid expenses, accounts receivable, accrued expenses, accounts payable, and fixed assets.
- Prepare journal entries for month-end close.
- Act as backup to accounts payable.
- Track capital campaign revenue and expenses.
- Participate in the annual forecasting/budgeting processes.
- Assist with the year-end external audit and reporting processes.
- Assist in maintaining a control environment through proper documentation and internal controls.
- Assist with the implementation of a new accounting software application.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- A minimum of five years of progressive accounting experience; nonprofit is highly preferred
- Proficiency in computerized accounting systems, such as Intacct, Great Plains, or Blackbaud Financial Edge desired
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel (v-lookup, mid function, etc.) essential
- Excellent interpersonal skills with high initiative flexibility and team approach; must be comfortable working with staff at all levels across the organization
- Thorough, quality-conscious, and detailed-oriented
- Demonstrates job competencies in the following areas:
- problem solving, innovation/creativity, and adaptability
- oral and written communication
- teamwork, judgment, planning/organizing, and initiative
- productivity, high energy, self-motivation, and professionalism
- attendance/punctuality and dependability
- achievement-oriented with assignments and financial accountability
- Commitment to equity and social justice and proven ability to thrive in a diverse, equitable, just, and inclusive environment
- Comfort working in a faith-based, multicultural, and diverse organization
40 hours per week, Monday-Friday
Day and some evening hours required
This is a full-time position with a salary compensurate with experience and includes our robust benefits package:
- Medical (church pays 85% of employee monthly premium (75% of eligible dependents), zero ($0) deductible, $10 office co-pay)
- Optional dental and visions plans
- Generous PTO plus eleven holidays
- 403b retirement plan (employer contributions after one year of employment)
- FSA for unreimbursed medical and dependent daycare expenses
- Mass transit and commuter parking benefits
- Life and short term disability insurances, optional life insurance and long term disability plans
Fourth Presbyterian Church and Chicago Lights are committed to equal employment opportunity for all qualified persons, without regard to race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status or familial status, veteran status, military status, source of income, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by law.