View the 2020 Chicago Lights Annual Report!
Support and process accounts payable transactions, analyses, and reconciliations for Fourth Presbyterian Church and Chicago Lights
Fourth Presbyterian Church seeks a Staff Accountant for the second largest Presbyterian church in the United States and its nonprofit organization, Chicago Lights. Working with the Controller and Senior Accountant, the Staff Accountant will perform and complete the processing of accounts payable transactions. They will prepare journal entries, analyses, and account reconciliations and assist with monthly close processes. They will also develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls.
- Process accounts payable transactions, including but not limited to: assemble, review, and verify invoices and check requests, ensuring that payments are timely and accurate.
- Prepare financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends.
- Prepare corporate credit card journal entries.
- Assist with streamlining the current accounts payable functions to best business practices to improve efficiency and effectiveness of current processes.
- Prepare and enter journal entries in Financial Edge for month-end close.
- Reconcile vendor statements, research invoices, or payment discrepancies; document and correct discrepancies.
- Reconcile general ledger accounts and update schedules
- Assist with preparation of audit and Form 990 schedules.
- Process annual 1099 forms.
- Provide backup assistance to other accounting functions, as needed.
- Assist with new system implementation.
- Maintain historical accounting and finance records by filing documents.
- Use the S.P.I.R.I.T. principles of hospitality when interacting with visitors, guests, members, and staff of Fourth Presbyterian Church and Chicago Lights.
- Assist with special projects, as needed.
Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
A minimum of five years of progressive accounting experience, nonprofit is highly preferred
Proficiency in computerized accounting systems such as Intacct, Great Plains, or Blackbaud Financial Edge desired
Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel (v-lookup, mid function, etc.) essential
Excellent interpersonal skills with high initiative flexibility and team approach; must be comfortable working with staff at all levels across the organization
Thorough, quality-conscious, and detailed-oriented
Demonstrates job competencies in the following areas: problem solving, innovation/creativity, and adaptability; oral and written communication; teamwork, judgment, planning/organizing, and initiative; productivity, high energy and self-motivation, and professionalism; attendance/punctuality and dependability; achievement-oriented with assignments and financial accountability
Commitment to equity and social justice and proven ability to thrive in a diverse, equitable, just, and inclusive environment
Comfort working in a faith-based, multicultural, and diverse organization
Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m., 40 hours per week
Please include salary expectations with resume. Position provided with our robust benefits package:
- Medical (church pays 85% of employee monthly premium (75% of eligible dependents), zero ($0) deductible, $10 office co-pay)
- Optional dental and visions plans
- Generous PTO plus eleven holidays
- 403b retirement plan (employer contributions after one year of employment)
- FSA for unreimbursed medical and dependent daycare expenses
- Mass transit and commuter parking benefits
- Life and short term disability insurances, optional life insurance and long term disability plans
Fourth Presbyterian Church and Chicago Lights are committed to equal employment opportunity for all qualified persons, without regard to race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status or familial status, veteran status, military status, source of income, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by law.