View the 2020 Chicago Lights Annual Report!
Director of Mission Outreach
Coordinate mission outreach programs for Fourth Presbyterian Church
The Director of Mission Outreach is responsible for the operational success of Fourth Presbyterian Church’s mission outreach programs. The Director will collaborate and coordinate with the Associate Pastor for Evangelism and Community Engagement, congregational leaders, and with the staff of the Chicago Lights Elam Davies Social Services Center.
Fourth Presbyterian Church is located on Chicago’s vibrant Michigan Avenue. The complex of historic and modern buildings welcomes hundreds of people each day, including members, guests, church staff, and others. Programs offer services to those who seek faith and guidance or are active in one of our many community programs or participate in one of our associated mission programs.
- Provide staff support to the following programs: Meals Ministry, Jail Ministry, Shower Ministry, Educational Equity Committee, and Employment Network. Leadership includes:
- Participating in developing and enhancing program direction
- Providing input to and managing the budget
- Assessing, developing, and improving current process and procedures
- Supervise the Meals Ministry Manager, Coordinator for Mission, and oversee the work of the Parish Associate for Prison Ministry.
- Extend hospitality to program participants and to the people who spend their days seeking shelter in our sanctuary while implementing and maintaining policies, procedures, and programming that are antiracist and equitable. Center the needs of program participants while adhering to overall organization direction and policies, including external partners.
- Connecting mission outreach and community engagement, work with the World Mission & Social Justice Committee, and its mission subcommittees, coordinating this effort with the Associate Pastor for Evangelism and Community Engagement.
- Coordinate with Chicago Lights on shared projects, strategic mission objectives, and enhance the relationship between Chicago Lights and Fourth Church, in partnership with the Executive Director, Executive Director for Programs, and Board of Directors of Chicago Lights as well as the staff of the Elam Davies Social Service Center.
- Provide educational opportunities and advocacy to encourage congregational engagement and oversee communications on mission outreach matters.
- Support Fourth Church’s involvement with the Presbytery of Chicago, with special focus on the City of Chicago, the Synod of Lincoln Trails, and the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).
- Bachelor’s degree, master’s degree preferred in the field of social work or M.Div. At least six years’ experience in the social service, pastoral/chaplaincy role, or nonprofit field with three of those years in a team management role
- Experience working with vulnerable populations, including persons experiencing homelessness or at risk for experiencing homelessness
- Experience in working with a high-performing, collaborative, and constructive peer group and ability to function in a nonprofit setting and collaborating with pastors and volunteer-managed programs within a large, urban church
- Strong management skills with complex, multifaceted projects resulting in measurable successes and program growth
- Proven ability and experience in nonprofit programming and managing budgets
- Proven skills in managing, developing, coaching, and retaining direct reports, empowering them to elevate their levels of responsibility and performance
- Commitment to equity and social justice and proven ability to thrive in a diverse, equitable, just, and inclusive environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with exceptional attention to details
- Strong work ethic, solid judgment, and apparent leadership skills
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to Fourth Presbyterian Church’s mission and strategic direction
- Use the S.P.I.R.I.T. principles of hospitality when interacting with visitors, guests, members, and staff of Fourth Presbyterian Church and Chicago Lights
- Comfort working in a multicultural, faith-based environment
Full-time, 40 hours per week
Flexible schedule will include Sundays, occasional evenings and holidays including Easter and Christmas Eve, among others
This is a full-time position with a salary commensurate with experience and includes our robust benefits package:
- Medical insurance (church pays 85% of employee monthly premium and 75% of eligible dependents)
- Optional dental and vision insurance plans
- Generous PTO plus holidays
- 403b retirement plan (employer contributions after one year of employment)
- FSA for unreimbursed medical and dependent daycare expenses
- Mass transit and commuter parking benefits
- Life and short-term disability insurances, optional life insurance and long-term disability plan
Fourth Presbyterian Church and Chicago Lights are committed to equal employment opportunity for all qualified persons, without regard to race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status or familial status, veteran status, military status, source of income, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by law.