True Impact: Inside Chicago Lights | Virtual Chats: May 2021
Director of Human Resources – Fourth Presbyterian church
Champions initiatives in the areas of hiring, benefits and compensation, employee engagement, and performance management
The Director of Human Resources will partner with leadership across Fourth Presbyterian Church and Chicago Lights to champion initiatives in the areas of hiring, benefits and compensation, employee engagement, and performance management. Using an anti-racist and equity lens, the Director of HR will design and implement employee programs and activities that ensure the organization maintains a focus on development, engagement, and retention.
- Leads Human Resources efforts for both Fourth Presbyterian Church and Chicago Lights.
- Directs the HR Manager and departmental hiring managers to ensure effective, efficient, and legally compliant processes.
- Administers and oversees HR programs, including compensation, benefits, and leave; disciplinary matters; disputes and investigations; performance and talent management; occupational health and safety; and training and development.
- Interrogates all policies and practices through an anti-racist and equity lens.
- Drives an employee-centric focus across the organization to facilitate growth and retention, through an effective employee engagement and reward strategy.
- Maintains in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance.
- Serves as a policy expert to assist operations management in adherence of company policies, processes, and practices.
- Conducts and/or provides guidance to ensure effective, thorough, and objective investigations.
- Successfully builds strong working relationships throughout the organization.
- Benchmarks industry best practices to maintain and enhance an engaged workforce.
- Attends all work functions unless other arrangements have been made.
- Uses the organization’s principles of hospitality when interacting with visitors, guests, members, and staff of Fourth Presbyterian Church and Chicago Lights.
- Other duties as assigned
- Considerable working knowledge of multiple HR disciplines, including benefits and compensation practices, performance management, and culture development
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion trained and demonstrated ability to work toward anti-racist policies and practices
- Working knowledge of HRIS/Applicant Tracking and other technology related to HR
- Demonstrated capability developing and deploying strategies at all levels
- Successful track record of designing, developing, and delivering HR programs
- Ability to think holistically across existing HR program processes and systems to identify opportunities that further program design and development
- Strong customer service orientation and interpersonal communication skills
- High degree of emotional intelligence and flexibility in a dynamic culture
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, critical thinking, and decision-making skills, using a comprehensive approach with strong attention to detail and deadlines
- Expert at focusing on both long-term issues and daily, practical issues; adept at effective priority-setting
- Understanding of and commitment to the values and mission of Fourth Church and Chicago Lights. This includes an appreciation for and ability to build a positive morale, sense of collegiality, and trustworthiness in the unique environment of a faith-based, non-profit, and service organization.
- Comfort working in a faith-based, multicultural, and diverse organization
Education and Professional Experience Required
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management, or related discipline
- 7-10 years as HR generalist plus some HR director experience
- PHR or SPHR certification preferred
- Proficient in HR information systems
- High proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Reliable self-starter, able to function well in a high-responsibility, low-oversight environment; follow-through and ability to complete projects on time with excellence from start to finish
Full-time, 40 hours per week, occasional evening work required
This is a full-time position and includes our robust benefits package:
- Medical (church pays 85% of employee monthly premium (75% of eligible dependents), zero ($0) deductible, $10 office co-pay)
- Optional dental and visions plans
- Generous PTO plus eleven holidays
- 403b retirement plan (employer contributions after one year of employment)
- FSA for unreimbursed medical and dependent daycare expenses
- Mass transit and commuter parking benefits
- Life and short term disability insurances, optional life insurance and long term disability plans
Fourth Presbyterian Church and Chicago Lights are committed to equal employment opportunity for all qualified persons, without regard to race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status or familial status, veteran status, military status, source of income, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by law.