Provide leadership, support, and oversight to all accounting, financial reporting, and financial management in order to advance the plans and goals of Fourth Church, Chicago Lights, and affiliates.
Reporting to the Pastor/Head of Staff and serving as a member of the Senior Leadership Team, the Controller provides leadership, support, and oversight to all accounting, financial reporting, and financial management in order to advance the plans and goals of Fourth Church, Chicago Lights, and affiliates. The Controller is the primary liaison between the out-sourced accounting staff, the Fourth Church Treasurer, Joint Finance Committee, Board of Trustees, and the Investment Committee.
Fourth Presbyterian Church is located on Chicago’s vibrant Michigan Avenue and is the second largest Presbyterian church in the United States. The complex of historic and modern buildings welcomes hundreds of people each day, including members, guests, church staff, and others. Programs offer services to those who seek faith and guidance, are active in one of our many community programs, participate in one of the mission programs of our sister organization, Chicago Lights, or those who desire a few moments of peace and refuge on our beautiful buildings and grounds.
Responsible for all accounting functions of Fourth Church and Chicago Lights.
- Responsible for updating accounting procedures manual and developing the framework of accounting controls for Fourth Church, Chicago Lights, and Affiliates (“Fourth Church”)
- Provide oversight to out-sourced accounting team. Perform or supervise employees performing financial reporting, accounting, reconciliations, and budgeting. Ensure duties are performed in a timely manner, are accurate, and conform to approved budgets.
- Administer the annual budgeting process, monitor progress, and work collaboratively to achieve financial objectives. Coordinate the development and implementation of budgetary and accounting systems.
- Function as the administrator of the accounting systems for Fourth Church, including access rights, data security, maintenance, and compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and best practice
- Coordinate year-end financial statement audit and ensure necessary work papers prepared to support timely audit reports and timely 990 tax preparation and filing.
- Communicate to appropriate and relevant parties monthly program level financial results and work with relevant parties to determine projected spending (Youth Ministry, Meals Ministry, etc.).
- Analyze the historical financial results against present and expected results to identify areas for process improvement and efficiency.
- Work collaboratively with other members of Senior Leadership to fulfill the overall mission of Fourth Church.
- Provide historical and prospective financial analysis that will assist the Senior Pastor/Head of Staff, management, committees, and boards to be knowledgeable about Fourth Church finances, financial risk, and assist them in understanding the important financial metrics upon which they will make decisions.
- Other duties as assigned
- Joint Finance
- Board of Trustees and Audit Committee
- Investment Committee
- Session and Committees as requested
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting; CPA preferred
- 8-10 years of experience leading accounting and financial departments
- Process-oriented, forward-looking thinker who promotes integration of financial information that impacts operations and ministry
- Experience with religious organizations, nonprofit organizations, or foundations a plus
- Demonstrated experience of final responsibility for the accuracy and quality of financial data, reporting, and audit coordination
- Strong analytical, planning, and communication skills
- Participative management style and advocate for team building
- Understanding of and commitment to the values and mission of Fourth Church
- Demonstrated experience in collaborating with others to set goals and achieve results
- Expert at focusing on both long-term issues and daily, practical issues; adept at effective priority-setting
- Listens and considers options, decisive
- Comfort working in a faith-based, multicultural, and diverse organization
Monday-Friday, 40 hours per week
Please include salary expectations with resume. The position provided with our robust benefits package:
- Medical insurance (church pays 85% of employee monthly premium and 75% of eligible dependents)
- Optional dental and visions insurance plans
- Generous Paid Time Off plus ten holidays
- 403b retirement plan (employer contributions after one year of employment)
- FSA for unreimbursed medical and dependent daycare expenses
- Mass transit and commuter parking benefits
- Life and short-term disability insurances, optional life insurance, and long-term disability plan
Please send cover letters and resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Fourth Presbyterian Church and Chicago Lights are committed to equal employment opportunity for all qualified persons, without regard to race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status or familial status, veteran status, military status, source of income, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by law.