Art Instructor, Chicago Lights Tutoring
The Art Instructor for the Chicago Lights Tutoring program at Fourth Presbyterian Church, an outreach program for children and youth living in Chicago, will be responsible for creating, developing, and instructing an art curriculum that is interesting and appropriate for students in first through twelfth grades.
The Art Instructor will work collaboratively with the Education and Enrichment Manager and the other enrichment instructors to create an environment that allows students the ability to experiment with new skills, develop a love for the arts, express themselves creatively, and link academics to art and enrichment activities.
- Develop, enhance, and implement an art program for students.
- Provide age-appropriate and educational art instruction for elementary, middle, and high school students.
- Provide a weekly schedule of projects planned for the season (which will be subject to change).
- Keep an inventory of all materials needed and used for class.
- Work within the budget for materials and provide appropriate receipts.
- Provide a welcoming environment for volunteers along with meaningful tasks.
- Maintain excellent and timely communication with the Education and Enrichment Manager.
- Communicate with the Education and Enrichment Manager regarding all student behavior concerns and work together with all staff to create a safe, positive, and calm environment.
- Adhere to the Tutoring and Summer Day programs’ employee policies.
- Attend staff meetings, as needed
- Use the S.P.I.R.I.T. principles of hospitality when interacting with visitors, guests, members, and staff of Fourth Presbyterian Church and Chicago Lights.
- Other duties as assigned or needed
- Associate’s degree required with at least three years of arts classes (high school/college or other art programs)
- Experience in teaching art or creatively working with students
- Classroom management skills
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Enjoy working with children from 6 to 18 years
- Evidence of enthusiasm, patience, and tact
- Must be able to record and document work
- Comfort working within a faith-based, multicultural, and diverse environment
- Experience in trauma-informed care preferred, but not required
- This is a seasonal, limited part-time position, approximately nine (9) hours per week.
- During the Tutoring season (October–May), the schedule for this position is Monday and Tuesday, 4:30–6:00 p.m. and Wednesday and Thursday, 4:30–7:30 p.m.
- Possible continuation of program for six weeks in summer in late June through early August
This is a part-time, seasonal position. Approximately nine (9) hours per week. Pay rate is $20 per hour. This position is not eligible for benefits or PTO.
Please send cover letters and resumes to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
Fourth Presbyterian Church and Chicago Lights are committed to equal employment opportunity for all qualified persons, without regard to race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status or familial status, veteran status, military status, source of income, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by law.